Monday, September 12, 2011

A Selection of Busy Bugs Busy Buggin

I have a small courtyard/garden in the back of my apartment. When I arrived, it was so grown up with weeds that I couldn't even step outside the back door for fear of mysterious bugs and other creatures. After a couple of weeks, I got sick of not being able to walk outside and bought some garden shears, and the weeding began. Turns out there were all kinds of weird things hiding in the weeds...

Take the above gecko for example, though it's pretty cute, I thought.
There are a lot of frogs out there, too. At any time when I look out, I can count probably 10 if they're not hiding too well. I actually like them because they eat all the bugs below...
...like this giant spider. Or maybe it eats the frogs. I'm not sure. I wanted to put my hand in the picture to give a sense of the size of this thing but decided not to, and probably for the better. I would guess it was about 8 inches from the end of the longest leg to the other. I had just witnessed it owmp on a helpless stinkbug. You can see him gnawing on it in the picture if you look closely.
A big ol' slug slugging.
And finally, a huge praying mantis. I like taking their pictures because they always pose for the camera by rotating their heads to follow the lens. Who knew bugs could be so photogenic?


No comments: